Peeling Back the Petals

Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Cracker Barrel Old Country Store

When trying to decide what I want for a meal - I automatically think of what flavor combinations my palate is craving at the moment and what environment I'd like to enjoy them in.  I often turn to the idea of "comfort", whether it be the food, the atmosphere, the company, or a combination of all of them.  I grew up in the South and always ate at Cracker Barrel Old Country Store.  Not only is the food incredible, the front half of the restaurant is a quaint little country store.

It wasn't until I became an adult and expanded my travels did I realize that Cracker Barrels weren't as readily available as I was accustomed to when you venture out of the south. In the area where I grew up, it seems as if there is a Cracker Barrel off the interstate every so many miles.  Even as a child, when we went on vacations (usually to neighboring states), we would leave at night and drive through the night and wake up and find a Cracker Barrel to eat breakfast.  I guess I was nievely under the impression that they were everywhere.  So when went go to visit my in laws in Chicago, I panicked when we got out of "Cracker Barrel country" as we called it and then started seeing "yankee" places like White Castle and things like that.  So now when we plan to visit the in-laws, we plan our meals (if we wanted to eat at Cracker Barrel) around our route through the southern states and we remind ourselves to stop and eat breakfast before we cross the Mason-Dixon Line. 

Not only was I astonished that this classic comfort wasn't available nationwide but even more surprised that people had never even heard of such a place.  Think of it -- rocking chairs on the front porch peaking your interest as you pass by, a store - which is filled with countless treasures from your past like the classic candy that is unfamiliar to this generation but is still so irresistible that you just can't help yourself, to the most unique gifts that have that special touch that makes the receiver feel as if that product was made just for them; of course they may have a few of the generic things that are available at other venues but they also have products that are special and have a bizarrely personal touch, the ambience of the actual restaurant is also so inviting -- from the cast iron antiques hanging from the walls, showing the evolution of our food preparation and how far we have come as a society, showing that in the past, food brought people together and it has brought families and loved ones together over the generations.



Oh!  I cannot forget to mention the star of this lovely place -- the food!  The food is fabulous.  Home made biscuits on your table at request (complimentary by the way) and they come with the best apple butter you've ever had in your life (but you have to ask for it).  The full breakfast menu is served all day. even for dinner, which is what we did tonight.  The prices are reasonable and you get lots of food for the money.  The staff is always very polite and they try their best to make you feel at home while dining with them.  Cracker Barrel specializes in country, soulful, southern cuisine.  They also have carb conscious offerings and reduced sugar options to the classics to make sure that there is something for everyone!  They have various games on tables like checkers near the fireplace and the peg games on every table for the kids to enjoy.  I know I know, I slipped it by you -- but I'm sure you caught it!  I DID say they had a fireplace --  the ambiance for the whole restaurant is created by the soft roar of a fire (weather appropriate), antique pictures, treasures, and tapestries on the walls, and when its time for dinner, they dim the lights and lite oil lamps located on each table to create the perfect light for enjoying such delicious food.

If you're interested in reading about the history of Cracker Barrel Old Country Store, click here.



But lets face it... Food, the need for it, the love of it, and the sharing of it has been the essence of our own existence over the years.  It has been the thing that keeps us close, keeps life personal, and exists with almost every interaction with the ones we love. We all gather for a meal for family dinners or for holidays - in which we generally have a feast.  I know that they are trying to launch a big thing about the "Family Table" and I think thats great, to get in the kitchen and cook.  But in my opinion, the family table is wherever the people you love join you to dine, whether its your kitchen table, theirs, or a restaurants.  Don't forget the interaction with the ones you love is what makes you smile, the food is what satisfies you, but the combination of the two creates a beautiful memory, something you can carry for life. If you remember, food brought the Indians and pilgrims together in the beginning, it still brings us together now.  


No comments:

Post a Comment